This project is read-only.

Guidance around package submitters?

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:26 PM

What's the NuPack Packages maintainers feeling on having non-project maintainers submitting packages for other libraries? I'm just a guy that wants to help out and wants to see as many good OSS libraries make it into the list of packages. I submitted a pull request to include Autofac but feel a bit dirty about the whole thing since I'm not on the Autofac contributor team.

I'm just curious how you are going about governing submissions.

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Great question. I would say email the oss projects leader or email list. In most cases, I thiink they would welcome your contribution and let the review the author and description.

If we look at ruby gems they allow this type of proxy authoring.

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Coming from authoring gem packages (for Nu) I was in the same boat. Maybe there should be some governance but it'll be unenforcable due to the nature of people (still documenting it and recommending it isn't a bad idea).

Here's what I do:

• Find a library that should be packaged (or get peeved at having to download one every time I need it)
  • Build the gem/package
  • Check the source for the package into some version control system (the source being the spec + binaries used for the package, not the source of the project)
  • Contact the owner to see if they want to fold the package creation into their build process (Ayende did this with RavenDB as did others)
  • If they agree to taking it over as part of their build process, hand them over ownership (on RubyGems this was just adding them as authors to the gem)
  • If they don't agree hook yourself into their release notification (mailing list, rss feed, etc.) and take it upon yourself to update the package and redeploy whenever there's a release by the project team

Works pretty good for me. YMMV.

Oct 8, 2010 at 9:13 PM

That sounds right to me.  Our goal is of course to end up with a large number of packages, so it would be unfortunate to limit submissions to the component owners, as that would slow down NuPack adoption.

Oct 16, 2010 at 5:05 AM

I'm the maintainer for Autofac as referenced by the original poster. I, and I think most OSS project maintainers, would be extremely happy to have someone package and distribute the project via NuPack or any similar mechanism. (Thanks for your help Jason! :))