Temporary or permanent debate, list of packages, etc.

Developer
Oct 8, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Is this project a temporary solution or a permanent one for a central repository of packages. I know there are various efforts for the actual feed, but this project holds package sources and anyone can add a new package which then gets added to the feed.

So the question is once a public gallery goes online (and users can just login and upload a package) is this project obsolte? Maybe.

Until that happens should there be a mechanism on this site to have a list of packages? There actually used to be a feature on CodePlex as I remember that would allow you to embed a feed onto a page, but that ability seems to be gone.

Right now the only way to see what packages are available is to go to the package feed or launch Visual Studio to see them. Maybe at least we can put the link on the home page with the feed so people could see what packages there are.

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2010 at 7:26 PM
I think it would be good to list everything on this site.  The feed macro in the codeplex pages only work if you use the wiki syntax.  It does not work using the html markup mode.

Long term.. right now I just dont know. I would like to have a real easy way to publish, something easier than what is setup here.  It does work for now since we are modifying the packages, so storing the sources make it really easy to roll out changes to the packaging process. Not sure what the future holds, until I see what the publishing process for the public feed looks like, it is hard to say if this project has a future.
Coordinator
Oct 8, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Though there is a gallery in development, it could be a while so I expect we'll be using this site a fair bit longer.  I've been taking pull requests last crazy in the last couple days, and it certainly is a bit time consuming (I always make sure they work, ...).  If the flow of pull requests increases, I'll need some help! :)

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2010 at 10:28 PM

So for projects on the codebetter teamcitybserver I could pull done pkg files automattically

On Oct 8, 2010 4:14 PM, "davidebb" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: davidebb
>
> Though there is a gallery in development, it could be a while so I expect we'll be using this site a fair bit longer. I've been taking pull requests last crazy in the last couple days, and it certainly is a bit time consuming (I always make sure they work, ...). If the flow of pull requests increases, I'll need some help! :)
>
>